Monday, April 8, 2013

Young Adults & Gay Rights: Ignore at your own peril, Pt. 1

Yesterday a friend of mine was ordained. That's not terribly surprising as I have a lot of friends in the Church world. What is surprising is how long it took. You see despite having been called and gifted for ministry my friend wasn't able to be ordained until recently because she is gay.

I know many in the Church would like the whole sexuality issue to just go away. That's how I felt for a long time until I got to know people like my friend. I watched her and many others struggle not only to discern their call to ministry (which trust me is hard enough) but also face a choice between two parts of their vocation...that of being a spouse and a Minister of the Gospel.

If you think that you can do ministry with young adults and ignore the sexuality issue you are mistaken.  The writer of this "Open Letter to the Church from my Generation" speaks of many young adults who rightly call out the Church when it fails to practice the love that Jesus commands of us.

Many have argued that not all young adults embrace marriage equality or support the rights of our GLBT brothers and sisters. That is true. But clearly it is the vast majority. Last week when people were changing their profile pictures to the marriage equality symbol I was amazed at how many people supported these ideas across the traditional divide between denominations. It's no longer just those from "liberal" mainline denominations that support this change, it's Evangelicals, Roman Catholics and more.

If you're on the other side of the fence, I understand. I really do. But you can't sit on the fence forever. Despite the dire predictions of calamity that many predict anytime the Church embraces change, this is not the end. It's a new beginning. And in this season of Easter new beginnings are in the air.

Thank God for new beginnings, and for the many Gay Christians who have continued to remind us of our need for repentance and change. My personal thanks to my friend who did the same for me. That collar looks awfully good on you.



No comments:

Post a Comment